Rumsfeld Foundation Announces 2011 Military Grants
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 19, 2011
Washington, D.C.- Today the Rumsfeld Foundation announced its 2011 grants to organizations supporting active duty troops, wounded military veterans, their families and the families of the fallen.
These grants, totaling $525,000, represent 100 percent of Donald Rumsfeld's proceeds thus far from the sale of his New York Times bestselling memoir, Known and Unknown. Any and all proceeds he receives from the sale of his book are being given to military charities through the Rumsfeld Foundation, which he chairs with his wife, Joyce.
About the recent grants, Rumsfeld said, "It is a privilege to donate my proceeds from Known and Unknown to such outstanding organizations that do so much to support our troops and their families. We are fortunate to have such dedicated men and women volunteer to serve our country, and there is no question but that their families serve and sacrifice alongside them. America owes them a debt of gratitude we cannot possibly repay, but we can honor their service. These organizations support our service members and their families every day."
The grant recipients provide a wide range of support and services for troops and their families such as educational scholarships, outdoor rehabilitative therapy, mentorship and career counseling, assistance for the wounded and their caregivers, and daily necessities for deployed troops. For more information on each of these organization's activities, please visit their websites.
- Paws for Patriots- Southeastern Guide Dogs- $60,000
- National Organization on Disability Wounded Warrior Careers Program- $60,000
- Wounded Warrior Project- $30,000
- Navy SEAL Foundation- $30,000
- Rivers of Recovery- $25,000
- Vail Veterans Program- $25,000
- Special Operations Fund- $25,000
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation- $25,000
- Segs4Vets- $20,000
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors- $20,000
- Wall Street Warfighters Foundation- $20,000
- Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans Foundation- $20,000
- Green Beret Foundation- $20,000
- Marine Corps- Law Enforcement Foundation- $20,000
- Families of the Wounded Fund- $15,000
- Homes for Our Troops- $15,000
- The Mission Continues- $15,000
- Luke's Wings- $10,000
- Operation Home Front- $10,000
- Our Military Kids- $10,000
- ThanksUSA- $10,000
- USA Cares- $10,000
- Fisher House Foundation- $5,000
- HeroBox- $5,000
- Spirit of America- $5,000
- Team River Runner- $5,000
- Travis Manion Foundation- $5,000
- Warriors and Quiet Waters Foundation- $5,000
The Rumsfeld Foundation, established in 2007, rewards leadership and public service at home and supports the growth of free political and free economic systems abroad. To this end, the foundation has four focus areas: supporting charities that benefit the men and women of the U.S. military and their families, graduate fellowships for students interested in public service, building linkages between young leaders from Central Asia to the United States, and global microfinance.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook